The Port Glasgow Fishery, about 1885, in Aldborough Township (present-day Municipality of West Elgin). This picture shows approx. 200 feet of bank between the road down the hill and at the extreme left, and the water’s edge. The trees at the top of the bank at the extreme left is about where the bank had receded to as of 1968. Note the breakwaters on both sides of the fish-houses. Even in those days, fishermen were having difficulty retaining a protective beach in front of their buildings. Photo is from the Harley Lashbrook Collection.